Approved 2/28/00; revised 3/26/01; revised 1/26/04; revised 3/27/06; revised 7/27/09
The mission of the Wixom Public Library is to serve people of all ages with the highest quality collections, services and programs that support the educational, cultural, informational, business and recreational needs of the Wixom community. The Wixom Public Library supports intellectual freedom and access to informational resources. Internet access at the Wixom Public Library is an extension of that mission statement and its commitment to serving the community’s information needs.
The Wixom Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Library patrons are expected to use library resources in a responsible manner. Materials brought up on any computer screen in the Library may be seen by others. Patrons are asked to be discreet in viewing or displaying materials that are legal, but may be considered offensive to others. Patrons are prohibited from threatening or harassing other library users.
Parents/guardians of minors are advised that they must assume responsibility for, and any restriction of, their children’s use of the Internet through the Library connection. Library staff may be able to offer starting suggestions or search tips, but cannot act in place of or in absence of the parent. Parents are encouraged to work closely with their children in selecting material that is consistent with personal and family values and boundaries.
In compliance with Michigan Public Act 212, 2000, effective October 1, 2000, individuals aged seventeen and under are restricted to stations equipped with filtering software, unless directly supervised by a parent or legal guardian. This policy applies to wireless devices as well as library-owned equipment. All internet stations in the Children’s Department will be equipped with such filtering software. All patrons accessing the Internet will read and agree to this Internet Access policy.
Copyright law of the United States (Title 17 of the United States Code) governs the making of photocopies, printouts or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this equipment is liable for any infringement.
Internet use is governed by current procedures approved by the Wixom Public Library Board in place at the Library. This policy includes the Library’s Internet Use Disclaimer. The Procedures and the Internet Use Disclaimer will be available on each Internet public access terminal.
- Users will read and abide by this policy.
- Users will report any equipment problems to the library staff.
- Users will act in accordance with applicable local, State and Federal law, including but not limited to transmission of obscenity, child pornography or defamatory speech.
- Access may be denied if a person does not comply with the Internet Access Policy.
INTERNET USE DISCLAIMER
The Library has determined that it cannot provide Internet access and use to patrons except as subject to the following:
- The Library assumes no responsibility for any damages, direct or indirect, arising out of or in connection with access to the Internet, including any loss of data, privacy, or any harm or damage to any personal software, equipment or information; any asserted responsibility or potential liability is expressly disclaimed.
- The Library makes no warranty or guarantee, express or implied, with respect to the quality, accuracy, authority or content of any information or material accessible via the Internet. Each user must independently evaluate for him/herself the nature and validity of such information or material.
- The Library cautions all users that information and material on the Internet may be offensive, controversial, inflammatory, disturbing or otherwise inappropriate. The Library does not endorse, condone or sanction any particular information, material, image, content, idea, or perspective, and the Library’s provision of the means for Internet access neither expressly nor implicitly means otherwise.
- Users must comply with all copyright and other intellectual property laws; users must likewise comply with any other applicable law. The Library is not directly or indirectly responsible or liable for any user’s failure or refusal to so comply.
WIXOM PUBLIC LIBRARY POLICY STATEMENT APPROVED 2/28/00; revised 3/26/01; revised 1/26/04; revised 3/27/06; revised 7/27/09
Internet Use Procedures
- Internet use is made available on a first come, first served basis.
- Internet users are required to sign in to use Library computers.
- Minimum allowable session times will be one hour for Library card holders and 30 minutes for visitors. Sessions at express terminals are limited to 15 minutes for all users.
- Library card holders will be allowed a maximum of three hours of Internet use per day. Visitors will be allowed a maximum of one hour of Internet use per day.
- Library card holders with fines and fees in excess of $15.00 will not be allowed to use Internet terminals until such fines and fees are paid.
- Under obligation to Michigan Public Act 212, the Library reserves the right to request proof of age by Internet users.
- Internet users must pay for all copies made at the posted price.
- Internet access will be available during regular Library hours.
- Internet users must abide by the provisions of the Wixom Public Library Patron Behavior Policy.
- There exists no guarantee of security for the privacy of information in the use of the Internet, all transactions, files, contacts and communications are vulnerable to unauthorized disclosure, access or use. Users should therefore consider and treat as public all transactions, files, contacts and communications.